Banner

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Super Simple Mug Cozy - Free Crochet Pattern

There's no denying that I'm a little obsessed with mug cozies. Ever since I began crocheting, I've been making and sharing these lovely adorable mug cozies with everyone I know. They're so quick and easy to make, and every coffee or tea drinker will love it! It doubles as a coaster so you wont burn your hands or ruin your table! 





This cozy features the extended single crochet. Check out this video if you don't know the stitch or need a refresher, it's really simple! (I also used the ESC in this infinity scarf pattern)


Super Simple Mug Cozy Free Crochet Pattern

By The Hippy Hooker



Materials
H hook
A small amount of worsted weight yarn
(I have also made this using a strand of worsted weight and sock yarn)
Button
Needle for weaving in ends and sewing button on

Abbreviations
CH - Chain
SC - Single Crochet
Sl St - Slip Stitch 
ESC - Extended Single Crochet


Pattern
Row 1: make a magic circle, ch 1, sc 6 times in MC. Join with sl at 
Row 2: ch 1, 2 sc in same space, 2 sc in next st, repeat to end of round and sl st to first sc to join.
Row 3: ch 1, 1 sc in same st, *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next st* repeat around to first sc
Row 4: ch 1, 1 sc in same st and next st, *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 2 st* Repeat around to first sc
Row 5: ch 1, 1 sc in same st and next 2 st, *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 3 st* Repeat around to first sc
Row 6: ch 1, 1 sc in same st and next 3 st, *2 sc in next st, 1 sc in next 4 st* Repeat around to first sc
Row 7: ch 1, 1 sc in same st and each st until you get to the end. Leave 3 st unworked. 

From now on you will work in rows instead of rounds. 

Row 8: Ch 1, turn, ESC in same st, *ch 1, skip next st, ESC in next st* Repeat ** around. End with a ch 1 and sl st to first ESC to join.
Row 9-14: repeat row 8.
Row 15: Ch 1, turn, work a SC in each st across, when you reach the end of the row, make 2 sc in the corner, and SC evenly down the side. make 1 sc in each 3 st at the bottom, and evenly SC back up the other side. Sl st to the first SC.
For button loop, ch 14 and sl st to same sp.

Weave in your ends, attach your button, and enjoy!



If you love simple crochet patterns as much as I do, don't forget to follow me on Pinterest!

7 comments:

  1. I don't believe I have ever in all my years crocheting seen the extended single crochet. Video was very good!! Thanks for sharing something new (to me)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad I could help show you something new! I hope you enjoy making many more things with this stitch (:

      Delete
  2. Very cute. nice pattern. Thanks, Sara http://poshpoochdesignsdogclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good pattern, love that extended single crochet stitch. Just learned that one this summer and I think it makes quite a difference in the texture of the finished piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I love the texture of it, it's not flat like the sc or dc, it adds an extra dimension which i find very cool. especially for gloves. hope you enjoy (:

      Delete
  4. Loving this cozy. I made my first cup cozy from the Simple Crochet magazine. They are quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete