Banner

Monday, July 30, 2012

Save Your Scraps: Scrap Yarn Crochet Ideas!

I've been saving all the little scraps of yarn I make since I've started crocheting. I have a bin at the bottom of my yarn storage (see pics of my stash here!), and I just toss them in there when I finish a project, usually to be forgotten about.. Until now!
Dun Dun Dun!!! That's my scrap 'bucket'. I had already started tying it up and raveling it into a ball before I took the pic, but there is still a ton of yarn left!

I recently joined CrochetTalk, a blog for crocheters, and after seeing a sticky about what to do with scrap yarn, it inspired me to finally pull my pile out and get to work.

My plan is to make it into one big ball, and then crochet either a rug or blanket out of it. It doesn't matter what it looks like, because I know I'll enjoy it knowing it was made from yarn that would have originally been thrown away! 

So what about you? Do you keep your scraps? And if you do, when was the last time you took them out and made something? There are tons of patterns that use the smallest bits of yarn! Here's a few unique ideas to get you started!


Here you will find a pattern for cotton facial scrubbies! Perfect for washing your face and getting your face fresh and clean!

Or how about This wine glass coaster? Never lose your wine glass again by making it stand out from the others. Make a bunch of different colors so everyone can have one!

How about an adorable hair bow? This can be used in your hair, tied to a pets collar, pinned to the front of your sons shirt, or put it on a bag! Requires just a tiny bit of yarn and can be made in lots of fun colors!

A crochet rose is nice too! Put it on a hat, bag, headband, or just give it to someone special!!

Have any more ideas for some great scrap yarn usage? Post a comment below!!


4 comments:

  1. If you have any super small scraps of yarn too small to work with, they can be used as stuffing for amigurumi pieces. :) And if you sell your pieces (or even give them away), they can be used to attach labels to your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use scraps to attach my tags to my work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great ideas. I will let you know that the hair bow goes to a coaster or something on Ravelry. But would love to see the bow you found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking for anyone that has scrap yarn that will sell or donate to me and my mom for a project we do every year for the homeless and babies of abuse shelters it is " Blanket of many colors" in memory of my husband he got me started years ago please contact me @ 423 509 5823

    ReplyDelete